gameworn.net

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» gameworn.net   » Rink Rants   » Hockey Talk!   » NHL Changes the Goal (Net) Size

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NHL Changes the Goal (Net) Size
blachwk
Rookie
Member # 5687

posted September 08, 2013 05:37 PM      Profile for blachwk   Email blachwk        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Stumbled in to this when doing some 'Googling' on NHL rule changes. (I'm doing research on the goalie pad thigh rise rule change). Surprised that no one else has posted this yet

When will hockey rules be left alone? Seriously.
More Changes by the NHL

--------------------
-Looking for game worn Blackhawks Goalies' Jerseys or Equipment from the 80's, 90's, and 2000's.
-Game worn Rockford Icehogs Goalies' Jerseys or Equipment from the 90's and 2000's.
-Goalies' or Players' Jerseys from the Rockford Hockey Club, Rockford Icemen, Guilford Vikings (Rockford, IL), Rock Valley, or Rockton Wheels.

Posts: 323 | From: IL | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
joe15
Veteran
Member # 1974

posted September 08, 2013 09:34 PM      Profile for joe15   Email joe15        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The rules will never be left alone. They never really were anyway. Just better hope they don't screw up the game too much. Cross your fingers.
Posts: 1302 | From: Millville, New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tim
Veteran
Member # 3235

posted September 08, 2013 09:49 PM      Profile for Tim   Email Tim        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They keep trying to improve the game. The game does not need improving!

They need to do away with OT and the shootout if they want to improve the game.

--------------------
”Aw, don't worry about that Doc. If it happens I could always come back as a forward.” - Harold Snepsts

Posts: 405 | From: Ohio | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nathan G
Rookie
Member # 44182

posted September 08, 2013 11:37 PM      Profile for Nathan G   Email Nathan G        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Was there this much complaining when the Art Ross net was done away with in favor of one with a rounded back?
joe15
Veteran
Member # 1974

posted September 09, 2013 12:08 PM      Profile for joe15   Email joe15        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tim:

I agree. But the only thing that matters these days is money. I believe they keep thinking that if they change things it will bring in more people which will bring in more money.
I agree with you that they should leave things alone, but with the ol'e mighty dollar involved they never will. I just hope and pray that they don't screw things up too much to where the game is unwatchable. Crossing my fingers on that one.

Baronsfan
Veteran
Member # 4990

posted September 09, 2013 03:30 PM      Profile for Baronsfan   Author's Homepage   Email Baronsfan        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why not just have a new rule so no NHL team is allowed to have a goalie bigger than 5'8. Problem solved! [Cool]
Tim Zelmanski (TDZRO)
Veteran
Member # 4549

posted September 09, 2013 06:05 PM      Profile for Tim Zelmanski (TDZRO)   Email Tim Zelmanski (TDZRO)        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Personally I find 4 on 4 to be the best part of the game and therefore I love OT. 4 v 4 is so much better hockey than 5 v 5 IMO. Much more flow, more skill/skating on display, puck possession is key, you have to play great defense or you are hosed. No clutching/grabbing and many more quality chances/shots... Unless you like seeing them mix it up and find hitting to be the best part of the game, then I don't know how you can't say that 4 v 4 hockey isn't fun to watch. Actually I think that if you wanted to do away with concussions/boarding injuries, 4 v 4 would go a great distance to solve that as players could not go for the big hit without big risk of odd-man rushes...
Posts: 3786 | From: Hockeytown Originally, Now Mouseville, FL | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
bperkins
Veteran
Member # 83628

posted September 09, 2013 08:34 PM      Profile for bperkins   Email bperkins        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tim:

How you claim the game does "not need improving" then immediately suggest an improvement? You contradicted yourself.

The simple fact is the game has always been in a state of flux. Nets, tolerance of hooking, dimensions of the rink, boards/glass, equipment.

--------------------
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/101ST_FAN/library/Jerseys

Posts: 522 | From: Fort Leavenworth, KS (not in the #### prison) | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
sabresfan10
Veteran
Member # 5403

posted September 09, 2013 08:52 PM      Profile for sabresfan10   Author's Homepage   Email sabresfan10        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like the new nets.

I just wish they would make the big investment and make the rinks wider. More room, would be more space for skills to be showcased, and more room means more time and space to avoid headshots.

--------------------
www.freewebs.com/sabresfan10

Posts: 1363 | From: Hockey Heaven | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
schaferman
Rookie
Member # 1691

posted September 10, 2013 11:13 AM      Profile for schaferman   Author's Homepage   Email schaferman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Have to agree with Sabresfan10 on the larger ice surface!

--------------------
Duane
http://www.flickr.com/photos/92715582@N07/sets

Posts: 186 | From: Charleston, SC | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
joe15
Veteran
Member # 1974

posted September 18, 2013 09:51 AM      Profile for joe15   Email joe15        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
After watching the Flyers- Rangers game last night, I can honestly say that I don't like the new nets. Not the dimensions of the nets per say, but in Phily they have the nets pulled so tightly that you really can't tell when or how a goal is scored. I don't know if all of the teams have their nets so tightly bound or not. But the puck shoots out of there so fast sometimes you can't even tell if someone scored or not.

But just wait until a goalie gets hit in the back of the head with a 100 mph slap shot and get's knocked out by it as it exits the net so fast that it knocks the guy out. I can't wait for that. The prissy NHL will loosen them nets up then.

joe15
Veteran
Member # 1974

posted September 18, 2013 04:33 PM      Profile for joe15   Email joe15        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not to mention the other prissy rule. Taking your helmet off before a fight will get you an extra 2 minute penalty.

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | gameworn.net

Copyright 1997-2012 gameworn.net, Inc.